CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2012

From:
Craig Brideau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jun 2012 12:27:39 -0600

I'd recommend using a Glan-Taylor over a Glan-Thompson.  The 'Thompson has
cement between the wedges.  I've found through hard experience that the
cement can sometimes degrade over time and laser exposure, eventually
wrecking the cube.  The 'Taylor has the prisms air spaced, with
no intervening cement, so they are more durable.  Finally, there is a third
type called a Glan-Laser, which is a Glan-Taylor made out of the highest
grade optical materials.  They're expensive, but they have almost no
defects so they are the least perturbing to any beam passing through them.
 Normally they are only necessary for high power/energy applications, so
most Ti:Saph users can get away with just the plain Glan-Taylor.

Craig