CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2012

From:
David Baddeley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Baddeley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jun 2012 16:26:54 -0700

You could try either a higher agarose concentration, or think about using collagen (aka gelatin) or possibly even pluronic instead (because of its weird phase behaviour pluronic might be more resistant to local melting due to laser heating). I've successfully taken PSFs in an admittedly fairly concentrated (~ 30%) gelatin gel without any bead movement. The downside of gelatin is that it has some background fluorescence, but this is likely to be more of a problem in widefield. A second caveat is that a high concentration gel of either gelatin or agarose will have a refractive index higher than that of water.

cheers,
David