CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

September 2007

From:
Andrew Resnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Sep 2007 08:35:21 -0500

Mark,

That's a good question.  We attached a coverslip with a small drop of
oil to the objective as a way to deal with immersion objectives.  I
don't know what it means that the "sample" is in air; if some light
is then totally internally reflected back into the coverslip, which
could be a spectral issue due to dispersion.

Using two matched objectives is probably a better method, but I
imagine considerably more difficult due to alignment constraints and
obtaining matched objectives.  The objectives we had obeyed the 'sine
condition', which I believe means that there are fewer high-NA rays
than low NA rays- this would help mitigate our experimental error as well.