CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 2010

From:
Tim O'Brien <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 2010 09:50:01 -0400
Medha-

We used to use a 0.1% sodium borohydride solution for quenching those
fixatives for tubulin immunofluorescence, but I have not tried it with
an objective lens present.  It might be worth a try with a non-precious
objective first, or asking the Olympus support about reactions with
coatings, etc.  We used it ice cold, and a bit of gas is released, so
some ventilation is recommended, and small volumes, no sparks or flames.
This would not remove the aldehydes probably, but might reduce
toxicity/reactivity.

You might also quench with a high concentration of tris buffer, which
might result in less toxicity as well.

Tim O'Brien
UNC Chapel Hill