CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 1997

From:
Ardan Patwardhan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Apr 1997 11:44:55 +0200
Hi !
We are currently using FITC and Cy2 in a test application where we try to
separate the fluorophores based on their lifetimes (both dyes fluoresce
in the green). The nice thing about Cy2 is that its lifetime is
sufficiently distinct from that of FITC so that it could be used
in lifetime based separation. The bad part is that (from our experience)
it fades very quickly, much faster than FITC when FITC is mounted in PPD.
We have tried two anti-fading agents (Vectashield, PPD) but to no avail.
Is there anybody out there who has experience working with Cy2 ?
We are using Cy2 conjugated to an antibody.
Does anyone have any suggestions of other dyes that can be excited with
488nm and have emission in the green but have a lifetime that is distinct
from that of FITC (difference of at least 1 ns) ?

We are grateful for any advice or help that you can provide.
Thanks

Ardan Patwardhan, PhD               Tel: +46-8-7293042
Dept. of Clinical Immunology        Fax: +46-8-335724
Karolinska Institute                email: [log in to unmask]
S-171 76, Stockholm, SWEDEN         http://www.fysik4.kth.se/~ardan