CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 2009

From:
Guenter Giese <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 7 Oct 2009 14:41:47 +0200
Mike,

although you mentioned that vibrations are not the case for your imaging
problems: It may be worthwhile to check the whole microscope stand for
vibrations.

I experienced such a problem with our ZEISS Axioscope FS2 Mot with a LSM510
scanner on top. This microscope is mounted on a Luigs and Neumann base, and
this all is placed on a Melles-Griot anti-vibration table.

It turned out that the whole microscope showed a resonance.

The main source of the vibration turned out to be a heavily pulsing stream
of cooling water through silicone tubing on the table connected to our
multiphoton laser. Of course I also tried to minimize this source of
vibration, but could not get rid of it totally.

But I could fix vibrations by mounting two thick type 95 aluminium rails
onto the breadboard (left and right of the scanner, respectively), and from
these posts, two minor rails fix ("squeeze") the scanner housing in between
them (damping material between scanner and side rails).

No problems anymore with vibrations / zigzag lines.

Hope this helps,

Guenter

Dr. Guenter Giese
Light Microscopy Facility Manager
Dept. of Biomedical Optics
MPI fuer Medizinische Forschung Jahnstr. 29
D-69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Phone (+49) 6221-486-360 (Fax: -325)
e-mail: [log in to unmask]