CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

December 2003

From:
Jeremy Adler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Dec 2003 13:33:42 +0000

you are not restricted to a Z series and instead you could acquire a XZ image, a
single image that will
give the thickness of the biofilm. An XZ slice is a single linescan that is
repeated as the stage is moved along the
Z axis.  In the final image the Y axis is depth (Z).
For the Z steps in the XZ slice use half the resolution you require - if you
want 1um use a 0.5 micron steps.
theoretically you should base the slice interval on the resolution of objective
in Z and XY but since you are after a fairly unsubtle measurement you can
reasonable ignore this.
for statistical purposes several XZ slices taken at random locations are
advisable.
outstanding problems are converting the Z distances in the XZ slice into microns
since the
refractive index of the film is unknown- however it should be possible to slice
a film in the XZ direction and then image it in the XY plane to get both the
correct depth, and hence find the RI of the biofilm - which you can reuse as a
correction, assuming the RI of the biofilm is unchanging.  Cutting will be
easier if the biofilm if grown on a plastic coverslip

Jeremy Adler
CIAL
NIMR
Mill Hill