CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 2009

From:
Keith J Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 3 Apr 2009 14:54:26 +0100
Sorry I should have said around 60 second exposure integration for
luciferase imaging [not 15 minutes] on the specially modified Olympus
LV200 'luciferase' microscope system. We do have a Zeiss 510 confocal by
the way, but rejected it as suitable for luciferase.

Keith

Dr Keith J Morris
Molecular Cytogenetics and Microscopy Core
The Wellcome Trust Centre for Human Genetics
Roosevelt Drive
Oxford
OX3 7BN
United Kingdom

Tel:  +44   ( 0 ) 1865  287568
Email:   [log in to unmask]
HomePage:  http://www.well.ox.ac.uk/cytogenetics

> No it probably isn't possible to use a confocal for luciferase. Just
tried
> it with our standard wide field inverted microscope, all lights off,
lots
> of tin foil, Orca ER peltier cooled camera, maximum gain and not a hint
of
> anything other than background noise. Our Orca ER has a 10 second max
exposure time, and the literature talks of 120 seconds plus exposure
times
> [and the max camera gain didn't help us]. We concluded we would need a
£25k EMCCD camera or better to use our microscope with our samples, so
our
> user is simply switching to an immunofluorescence method instead and
giving Luciferase a miss [just not worth spending the time developing
the
> method without the right microscope kit].
>
> A point scanning confocal will probably be less capable than our Orca ER
camera, and certainly no better. You loose too much light in the optics,
as there's so little to begin with, and so you need a very expensive
low-noise sensitive camera. Normally you use one of those large
> light-tight cabinet type microscope imagers, bit like a plate scanner.
>
> Olympus do make the 'boxed' LV200 microscope for this type of work:
>
> http://www.microscopy.olympus.eu/microscopes/Life_Science_Microscopes_Bioluminescence_Imaging_System_LV200_Applications.htm
>
> and they talk of 15 minute exposure integration times for image capture.
If you have an expensive cooled B&W fluorescence microscope camera that
integrate for many minutes it might be worth a trying that though -
provided you can get the microscope stage into 'absolute darkness' [you
even have to get down to covering LEDs with insulating tape].

> Our user was using a luceriferase kit that reduced light levels a tad to
hopefully keep it going brighter for far longer than the few seconds
Luciferase normally lasts.

> Regards
>
> Keith

> Dr Keith J Morris
> Molecular Cytogenetics and Microscopy Core
> The Wellcome Trust Centre for Human Genetics
> Roosevelt Drive
> Oxford
> OX3 7BN
> United Kingdom
>

>> Hi to all,
>> Is it possible to detect luciferase activity  on cell with a standard
confocal micriscope (let's say LSM 510 and LSM 710 equipped with
regular