CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

August 1995

From:
Mike Mancini <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Aug 1995 09:31:54 -0500
        I think there are probably at least a few groups out there that have
BOTH an LSM system AND a deconvolution setup as well, so:

        In a facility as described above, are users flocking to, or
avoiding, one setup or the other for any particular reasons?  Does an LSM
still do a better job on thick specimens, for example tissue slices ~100um?
Does everyone want to image cultured cells using deconvolution?

        Certainly computing speed weighs heavily upon the logistics of
decon, but as computers are getting faster and cheaper all the time, this
problem may now be a moot point.

        We are obviously interested in adding a deconvolution system to our
core facility that already has an LSM.  Given our fortunate position of have
great computer speed available, we are wondering what the fate of the LSM
might be.  I gather the LSM will still be a work-horse for many specimens,
but the incredible imaging, speed of acquisition and sensitivity that I've
seen from a decon system may suggest a turning point.... (and given our
available computing power, the promise of "'live" processing speeds makes
the whole idea quite attractive).

        Pro and Con comments are welcome, either to the Board or to me
personally.

        Thanks in advance.

        Mike. Mancini
        Department of Cell Biology