CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2008

From:
Christian Müller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 2008 08:37:43 +0100

> When I have the live camera feed there are lots of small
> circles with smaller rings inside.

We experienced apparently similar 'artefacts' in a Spot-camera about
once every 2 years due to humidity accumulation in the camera.
After sending it back for maintenance and paying a considerable amount
of money several times, I successfully did the following some months ago
when the problem reoccurred: i) open the cover of the camera, ii) find
the big screw(s) which close the container for the desiccating material
and open them (see important hint below!), iii) put the sac with
dessicating material in the oven for 5h at 100degC, iv) flush the camera
with dried nitrogen for 1h via the opening, v) reassemble everything
(using Teflon-tape for the screws).
Camera works nicely ever since. Maybe others have a similar problem with
their cooled CCD's.

Important Hint: be extremely cautious when opening the camera and
removing the desiccating-sac and the old sealing material from the
threads (!). If some material or dust falls into the camera and gets
onto the chip-surface you're in trouble!

Christian M. Müller
JWG University Frankfurt