CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 2011

From:
John Runions <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2011 17:10:33 +0000

Dear microscopists,

Each year at our university Science Bazaar we demonstrate our imaging
'prowess' and equipment to the community at large (adults and kids).  This
event is always well received and the biggest attraction of all is usually
the dissecting microscopes because we let the kids look at their disgusting
fingernails and they like that.  SEMs work well because we can show head
lice and rats tongue and... well you are probably starting to see a theme.

The problem is giving a really good demo with the confocal microscopes - we
show GFP labelled organelles moving around inside living cells and demos of
3D reconstruction but this doesn't really seem to capture the kids
imaginations.

Does anybody have a favorite organism or staining technique that is simple
and effective as a demo in a situation where lots of people are moving
through fairly quickly.

I appreciate your suggestions.

John

--