CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

December 2000

From:
Ammasi Periasamy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Dec 2000 16:20:25 -0500
Nikon PCM 2000 has three lasers configuration. Argon (488 nm), HeNe 543 &
HeNe 594. HeNe594 nm works great for Texas Red, Calcium Crimson,
Mitotracker red, Cy3.5 and  Cy5.

ammasi

At 04:12 PM 12/22/00 +1000, you wrote:
>Re. Guenter Giese's reply to Pam Reid's query:

> >Combination of Ar ( 457, 476, 488, 514 nm) with two HeNe lasers (543 nm,
> >633  nm) is also feasible. The gap between the latter two lines may partly
> >be overcome by the 594 nm HeNe laser (seems good for Texas red excitation,
> >but I do not have any experience with this laser). The still remaining gap
> >in the 560 to 580 nm range (for dsRed, TRITC etc.) is, in my experiences, a
> >severe drawback of this combination.
> >
> >An interesting combination could be: Ar plus ArKr plus 594 nm HeNe (if
> >Texas red is important) plus the appropriate merge module and AOTF for
> >merging/selecting/adjusting the individual lines. This combination (457,
> >476, 488, 514, 568, 594, 643 nm) should be appropriate for both standard
> >immunofluorescence imaging and fluorescent protein life cell imaging.
>
>No manufacturer, as far as I am aware, is using the 594 laser in their
>confocal.  When making a recent purchase of a confocal system, I asked to
>have this laser instead of or as well as the 633 laser, but since,
>apparently, none of these have been tested for stability, power, etc, this
>wasn't done.  The confocal software would need to be changed, and the
>correct couplings to hook the laser into the confocal would need to be
>custom made and tested, etc, etc.  I hope other users/potential users
>request more options in laser choice, then the manufacturers will be
>prompted to test them and offer them as standard.  With the brilliant Alexa
>594 dyes, and other probes absorbing in this region, it would be a real
>plus to be able to use the 594 laser in particular.
>
>cheers,
>Rosemary
>

>Rosemary White
>Microscopy Centre
>CSIRO Plant Industry
>GPO Box 1600
>Canberra, ACT 2601
>Australia
>
>phone  61-2-6246 5475
>fax       61-2-6246 5000
>email   [log in to unmask]

HAPPY HOLIDAYS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR 2001 !!!

Ammasi Periasamy, Ph.D.
Director, W.M. Keck Center for Cellular Imaging (KCCI)
University of Virginia
Department of Biology, Gilmer Hall
Charlottesville, VA 22904, USA..
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
http://www.cci.virginia.edu/
Tel: (804) 243-7602; Lab.: (804) 982-4869; Fax: (804) 982-5210