CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 2003

From:
James Sanzo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 21:19:02 -0500

Carl -

You are right on the mark. What I usually try to do in such circumstances
is excite just one fluor at a time and collect the emissions sequentially.
Do it this way, and the entire emission signal from each laser line can be
dumped to a single detector. Pick a broad BP filter that lets you see
whatever chunk of the emission you choose. In fact, you could use  band
blocking filters to exclude just the reflected laser light. This method
won't work well with 2p excitation.

Every method has a downfall, and the downfall here is that in order to keep
from exciting the 2nd fluor (and 3rd and 4th, etc.) and producing emission
you can't isolate, you may have to excite each fluor suboptimally. Check
the absorption curves and choose an off-peak location where the other
fluors show the least absorption. Of course, this also means you need lots
of laser lines....

Sequential excitation is generally a much easier proposition if you are
able to choose your fluorophores from the very large and growing list of
direct stains (ie: DAPI) and conjugatable dyes (FITC, Alexa, Cy, etc).
Fluorescent proteins are a wrench in the works. In my experience, in any
one cell/tissue expressing two FPs, if the FPs are wavelength-neighbors
(eg: cyan and green) you are going to get overlapping emission signals.
Even with the sequential excitation technique it's better to choose FP
pairs somewhat distant in excitation wavelength (eg: cyan and yellow). When
you start trying to cram 3 FPs or more into a cell/tissue it gets Really
Messy.

Have fun,
Jim