CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 2002

From:
Judy Trogadis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Oct 2002 21:19:32 -0500

I have good success with Mowiol and DABCO added as anti-fading agent, however, you mention that this problem arose 'lately'.

The dyes you are using are standard - although Alexa dyes are more robust than FITC - and Vectashield has been used successfully by many people. I suggest examining other parameters which may have been changed lately. For example, overall preparation protocols such as fixation, or, if using a confocal, perhaps the laser power has been increased or some ND filters removed from an epifluorescent scope. Check the scope alignment, your specimens may just be getting more excitation than before.

Just some ideas.

Judy

Judy Trogadis
Bio-Imaging Coordinator
St. Michael's Hospital
30 Bond St.
Toronto, Canada

416-864-6060 x6337

<<< [log in to unmask] 10/28  8:56a >>>

What experiences have you had using the various mounting media
containing anti-fade reagents? Our usual fluorochromes are FITC, Cy3,
and Lucifer Yellow and we have been using VectaShield to mount, but
lately have been having major fading problems.
Thank you.