CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 2020

From:
Steffen Dietzel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Oct 2020 18:05:11 +0200

Hi Radek,

glad to hear it worked out for you at the end.

Yes, "a bit of hacking around" describes it quite appropriately, I am
afraid. Backup is essential, so that you can go back to the starting
point, if everything else should fail.

BTW, should you plan to upgrade to the linear scanning electronics
(Klondike Upgrade), that would come with a Win10 upgrade included (and
possibly new computer), since it does not run on Win7. From memory, it
increases the duty cycle in unidirectional mode from 25% to 65% (i.e.
the percentage of the total time during which photons are collected.)
With the same line frequency and pixel size, pixel dwell time goes up.
For some, it may be easier to convince funders to pay for 2.6x more
photons in the same time period (or respectively shorter acquisition
times), rather than a windows upgrade, although it is likely to be
several times more expensive than what Arnim mentioned as Win10 upgrade
costs.

But I totally agree with others that fencing Win7 systems off the
internet with a gateway computer is an efficient, fast and relatively
inexpensive way to solve the problem in many settings. I did that once
with a Win XP system hidden behind a NAS which had several Ethernet
ports, one to the outside net, and one to the microscope computer. That
worked very nicely.

Steffen

Am 22.10.2020 um 02:59 schrieb Radek Machan (Dr):
> Post images on http://www.imgur.com and include the link in your posting.
> *****
>
> Dear Arnim,
>
> Steffen Dietzel for example was one of the people who bravely did the
> upgrade by themselves and he published the procedure which addresses
> Leica SP8:
>
> https://www.bioimaging.bmc.med.uni-muenchen.de/manuals-protocols/maintenance_protocolls/win7towin10/index.html
> >From Win7 to Win 10 LTSC - Core Facility Bioimaging - LMU
> Munich<https://www.bioimaging.bmc.med.uni-muenchen.de/manuals-protocols/maintenance_protocolls/win7towin10/index.html>
> SP8 with compact supply unit with a HP Z640 ().SP8 MP plus compact
> supply unit and Camera DFC365FX with a HP Z640, LASX 3.5.0.18371
> ().SP8 WLL with a HP Z640, LASX 3.5.5.19976 ().
> www.bioimaging.bmc.med.uni-muenchen.de
>
> It's a bit of hacking around. My former colleague followed the
> procedure and got stuck. Luckily, the Leica representatives there are
> quite flexible (not a Leica subsidiary but a third party company) and
> their engineer helped with the upgrade, so it ended successfully.
>
> Best wishes,
> Radek
>

> Radek MACHAN, Ph.D. (Senior Research Fellow)
> SCELSE Advanced Biofilm Imaging
> Facility<http://www.scelse.sg/Page/imaging-facility> Manager
> Nanyang Technological University
> #B2, 60 Nanyang Drive, SBS-01N-27