CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

September 2019

From:
"Giang, William" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Sep 2019 14:26:02 +0000

Hi Arvydas,

Hardware concerns have already been addressed by other people, so I'll bring up the software side of 10 year old confocals in a core facility.

With Windows 7 losing support in January 2020, our IT department is planning on isolating any computers from the {intra, inter}net.

While our FV1000s still function, the following will be disrupted.
1. Stratocore, our usage tracking software for cost recovery, needs internet access.
2. Images acquired on our scopes get robocopy'd to network attached storage for ease of access/discouraging flash drive usage

We also inquired how much it would be to get our Nikon A1R to a Windows 10 system. The giga channel board was ~$6000 by itself.

Side note: I want to clear up the misconception that "M.2 drives are better than SATA drives." "M.2" refers to the form factor. There are M.2 SATA SSDs and M.2 NVMe SSDs.

Best,
Will