CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 1996

From:
Arthur Schuessler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Nov 1996 16:51:49 +0100
>>>From NUNC you can get up to 8-well glass bottom culture dishes. The
>>LabTek line. USA plastics (fax: 904-351-2057) have good prices on them.
>>
>>Marco A. Romano-Silva
>>Neurofarmacologia - UFMG
>>Brazil
>>e-mail: [log in to unmask]
>
>It should be pointed out that the LabTek line of glass-bottom cell culture
>chambers use #1 thickness glass (nominally 0.13 mm thick). Most oil
>immersion objectives are designed for #1.5 cover slips (nominally 0.17 mm
>thick). We use these chambers extensively in our lab, and haven't noticed
>that the images are any lower quality as a result of this difference. But
>considering that there are more lenses designed for #1.5 thickness cover
>slips (I think), does anyone have a clue why LabTek chose to use thinner
>glass for their otherwise outstanding product?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Kurt

>Kurt M. Scudder, Research Scientist          tel: +45 4442 1412
>Novo Nordisk BioImage Satellite              fax: +45 4442 1411
>Moerkhoej Bygade 28                          email: [log in to unmask]
>DK-2860 Soeborg, Denmark

As far as I know, if you use oil immersion objectives it doesn't matter how
thick the glass is (same refraction index)?!. With thinner glass you have
some more working distance within the chamber, maybe that's the reason they
sell it like this?

Dr. Arthur Schuessler
University of Heidelberg
Zellenlehre