CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

May 2011

From:
Michael Schell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 May 2011 14:14:54 -0400

This is what works best for us:

1.  Mount in Prolong antifade with no air bubbles between the slide and coverslip.  Dry about 24 hr at RT.
2.  Seal edges with ample amounts of nail polish and allow to dry.
3.  Clean slides with a few drops of water to clean off salt, grime, and excess Prolong before storing flat, dark at 4 degrees.
4.  We find that having immersion oil on the slide for prolonged periods sometimes promotes the degradation of the fluorphores.  Rather than storing the slides with the oil on them, we blot off the excess with a Kimwipe, then do a quick clean with 70% ethanol, followed by a wipe with distilled water before returning to the flat storage at 4 degrees.  If some of the nail polish flakes off, we re-seal at this point.

Using this routine, we've had slides last as long as 5 years.  Not all will last this long, and the variable is probably the amount of oxygen that get into the sealed slide (or was there to begin with, owing to trapped air bubbles).

Mike

Michael J. Schell, Ph.D., CIV, USUHS
Assist. Professor
Dept. of Pharmacology
Uniformed Services University
4301 Jones Bridge Rd.
Bethesda, MD  20814-3220
tel:  (301) 295-3249
>>> Damir Sudar <[log in to unmask]> 05/03/11 1:58 PM >>>

Dear all,

I would really appreciate some good suggestions how to keep
immunofluorescently labeled slides of mammalian cells good for long
periods (3-5 months). The fluors are typically Alexa dyes or similar. Is
freezing at -20 or -80 a good idea? Any preparation tricks that keep the
fluorescence and the localization intact?

Thanks,
- Damir

--
Damir Sudar - Staff Scientist and Deputy for Technology
Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory / Life Sciences Division

Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: None