CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 2009

Date:
Tue, 27 Oct 2009 17:55:39 +1100
The phase shift given by 500nm of ice would be ~1/3 lambda, which is
easily measurable.  The tricky bit is keeping it frozen yet stopping it
getting thicker, and I really don't know how you'll do that - there's
obviously going to be a bit of engineering involved.

What you really need is a quantitative interference microscope like the
old Zeiss Jena Interphako, which is designed for just such measurements.
There must be some modern equivalent - or you could probably make us an
offer for ours.  Nobody has touched it since I retired.

                                     Guy

Optical Imaging Techniques in Cell Biology
by Guy Cox    CRC Press / Taylor & Francis
    http://www.guycox.com/optical.htm
Associate Professor Guy Cox, MA, DPhil(Oxon)
Electron Microscope Unit, Madsen Building F09,
University of Sydney, NSW 2006
Phone +61 2 9351 3176     Fax +61 2 9351 7682
Mobile 0413 281 861
     http://www.guycox.net