CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 2011

Date:
Thu, 27 Oct 2011 08:48:06 +0800

Hi Michael,
     Actually the Rayleigh criterion of 0.61*lambda/NA is not no-dip,
but with a ~0.8 dip. There does exist other criteria, not as well
known but may be visibly more accurate for "resolution limit", such as
Sparrow's and Dawn's.
http://www.licha.de/astro_article_mtf_telescope_resolution.php
     A wild idea that, given the fact that super-resolution can be
surpassed by localization of blinking items (such as quantum dots),
and stars are blinking because of turbulance of the air, can the
telescope's resolution be surpassed by such method?
     Reference: Fast, background-free, 3D super-resolution optical
fluctuation imaging (SOFI)
T. Dertingera,1, R. Colyera, G. Iyera, S. Weissa,b,c,1 and J. Enderleind,1
http://www.pnas.org/content/106/52/22287.long

Sincerely,
Peng Xi
Ph. D.    Associate Professor
Dept. of Biomedical Engineering, College of Engineering
Peking University, Beijing, China
Tel: +86 10-6276 7155
Email: [log in to unmask]
http://bme.pku.edu.cn/~xipeng