CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2009

From:
Elizabeth Nickless <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Mar 2009 09:31:23 +1300
The coating is an aqueous solution of disodium metasilicate and sodium
polyphosphate, stainless steel discs (approx.70mm diameter) are soaked
in the solution and then let dry.  The thickness of the coating is
estimated to be around 1um but we are not 100% sure.  (we can use
smaller pieces of stainless steel if needed)

I have been given advice from another member that back scattered SEM
might be the way to do it.  We need to image large areas across the disc
so I thought AFM would not be that practical and I am not sure what the
Interference microscopy application mentioned is? we cannot use
transmission systems, also from Guy Cox 2nd Harmonics??  I only vaguely
remember you talking about this at the microscopy conference in NZ sorry
so I am not sure how this application works?

Liz