CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 2014

From:
Michael Giacomelli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jul 2014 13:26:26 -0400

Unfortunately, it is extremely difficult to record the reflection mode
image in our microscope, as the NIR light will not pass through the
dichroic, and even if we changed out the dichroic for a beam splitter,
out PMTs are not sensitive to NIR light.

Translating a bead though is a very interesting idea.  We use a high
precision thorlabs MLS stage.  I will double check the repeatability,
but in theory I could program it to perform an extremely high
resolution distortion measurement.  Of course, getting a single bead
onto a coverslip (or else programming software to automatically
identify the same bead across hundreds of frames) will be somewhat
tricky.

Its a shame that getting targets for multiphoton is so difficult.
Ideal I suppose would be something etched in glass so that I could
flow my own fluorophore through it.  I will have to look around and
see if I can get a lithography facility to make something like that.

Thanks,
Mike