CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 1996

From:
Ed Monberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Nov 1996 01:30:24 -0700
Bryan Crawford <[log in to unmask]> states:

>I'm unclear on why the original poster dismissed UNIX as a platform for
>confocal/image analysis software...UNIX has a well deserved reputation for
>being arcane, but GUIs of many flavors exist which make a UNIX-based machine
>as user-friendly as the next os, and it is by far the most powerful and
>stable os around.  I think we should be lobying our confocal vendors to
>port their software to linux so we could all run powerful, stable, free
>operating systems and not rely on Microsoft or any company which caters to
>business and the computer-illiterate.

I could not put better except to say that the power of UNIX derives from its
concise and elegant conception.  After all, what ELSE is an OS required to do
other than provide a stable, quick platform for the computer ?
It is not to hog ram (ANY MS product),     - Unix began in sub 128kby machines !
Be unstable (almost ANY MS product), or    - Unix goes weeks w/o crashes.
To be slow (most MS products).

It was once asked why other (than UNIX) OS's were so seldom attacked by hackers.
The answer was illuminating:  "They are single user, and don't lead
anywhere - -".

Regards,

(signed)  Ed Monberg

510-429-1060    Fax 429-1065
LMDC, (Laser & Motion Development Co.)
3101 Whipple Road
Union City, CA 94587-1216

TO BE ON OUR LIST AND BE THE FIRST
TO KNOW ABOUT BARGAIN PRICED TECHNOLOGY EQUIPMENT,
Just send an e-mail containing
"Join Equipment List" in the header line.

Our web page: http://www.lasermotion.com
Our e-mail:       [log in to unmask]