CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

September 2019

From:
Rosemary White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Sep 2019 23:43:37 +0000

Hi Arvydas,

We've judged the lifetime of our confocals by how long the manufacturer is willing to repair it. Our old confocal (purchase 2000) kept going for 14 years, but eventually could no longer be repaired. In the interim, our new confocal (purchase 2012) had way more features and of course people switched to it.

We managed to convince the powers that be that a maintenance contract was essential, and this has been very worthwhile - couple of lasers replaced already, and we can call the engineers any time for repairs or to realign components, etc. We can expect this instrument to be serviced by the manufacturer up to about 2024.

However, the writing is on the wall so we have to start lobbying for a new instrument, because it takes 2-3 years for powers that be to fund instruments, then at least a further year before the tenders are complete and an instrument is purchased.

I know of one facility that kept at least one quite ancient and highly used confocal going for 20 years before mothballing it.

That's how we operate. I hope this helps a bit. Those rules of thumb about confocal lifetime are very rubbery, some confocals are great and go a long time without needing much attention, some are not so great. Just like cars...

cheers,
Rosemary

Dr Rosemary White
CSIRO Black Mountain