CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

May 2006

From:
Leigh Silvester <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 May 2006 08:58:17 +0100

chris
>We are purchasing (unless someone talks me out of it really quick) a 405 upgrade to our
>Leica SP2 AOBS system primarily for imaging DAPI and Hoechst.  I would like to hear your
>comments on two things.  Any positive or negative aspects you have encountered with
>these lasers and what additional applications (uncaging etc)for which you have successfully
>used this laser.

We have a 405 laser for imaging DAPI/Hoechst.
In our estimation it is okay, not brilliant, but okay.

For really excellent results use a multiphoton infra red if you want to be able to see fine detail.
The IR is much sharper and gives much beter response when the nucleus is not a dense blob.

If you just want to know where nuclei are the 405 is fine.
405 nm is far away from the optimal excitation wavelength, although this is the only
alternative at the moment with out using IR laser.

Down side on IR laser:

Expensive
More bits to fail and go out of sync/alignment - which they do (ours is current out of action awaiting money to get it serviced)
Expensive
Need a lot more space to accomadate it.
Air conditioning is a serious issue.

Regards