CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 2006

From:
Clare Waterman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jan 2006 16:17:05 -0800

Kate -We use the same camera as you for through the objective TIRF system.
I love it, low noise, tiny pixles, and a lot of them.  We also recently got
a roper 512b for the same tirf system.  it is great for tirf because the
signal to background in the image is so great to begin with- not as good on
spinning disk where contrast is not as good as tirf. The exposure times on
orca II ERG for a speckle image were ~500 ms, with the 512b they are on the
order of 25 ms to get the same speckle modulation. The main problem issue is
that the pixels are so big on 512b compared to orca type (~13 vs ~6 um) that
we had to modify the microscope to get nyquist satisfied.  With all that mag
and only a 512 chip, we end up seeing only a very very small area of a cell.
I have been bugging camera companies for more real estate on those EM chips.
The 1k x1k em chip is too noisy compared to the 512.

Don't know if any of this helps

Clare M. Waterman-Storer, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Laboratory for Cell Motility Studies