CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 2008

From:
Jerry Sedgewick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Oct 2008 11:00:25 -0500
The issue of the recent request by the University of Minnesota to have
Catherine Verfaillie retract her publication is worse than tragic: it
has all the elements of a Puritanical witch-hunt, and all for the charge
of changing the brightness level of three images.   Let me be quick to
say that Morayma Reyes, the graduate student who was picked out for the
"offense," changed brightness levels to conform the image for
publication, exactly what a printer at the printing press would do (but
somehow comes clean), and exactly what I advised her to do.

Believe me, no list of ethical rules by the Microscopy Society could
EVER be written to have changed this outcome--which was clearly an
investigation for political reasons--except one rule: no post-processing
period (which is done anyway at the press: are they accountable, too?).

It is especially disheartening because Dr. Reyes is among the best
researchers I have worked with.  I cannot forget the day when she called
me into a room long after regular working hours and asked me to look
through the microscope.  I saw a beating heart before this had ever been
done with the use of stem cells.  I turned to her and commented, "This
is too large for a rat heart and too small for a rabbit.  What is it?"
She smiled triumphantly and said, "We made it on a scaffold."

I agree wholeheartedly with Johan: fight back.  Especially for this
so-called violation on research that has since been corroborated by
other labs.

Jerry

--
Jerry (Gerald) Sedgewick
Program Director, Biomedical Image Processing Lab (BIPL)
Author: "Scientific Imaging with Photoshop: Methods, Measurement and Output."

Rawlight.com (dba Sedgewick Initiatives)
965 Cromwell Avenue
Saint Paul, MN  55114
(651) 308-1466
http://www.quickphotoshop.com