CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2006

From:
Martin Wessendorf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 2006 10:46:43 -0500

Hey, John--

John Runions wrote:

> Ok everyone, here is a question I've been stewing over for a while.  I
> know some of you will howl with indignation that I can't figure this one
> out and probably have me drummed out of the society for good but here
> goes...  If a small aperture (large f-stop number) gives you longer
> depth of focus in photography, then how come a smaller pinhole in the
> emitted light pathway results in reduced focal plane thickness in
> confocal microscopy?
>
> Signed, Confused.

I think the answer all comes down to the paths of in-focus and
out-of-focus rays.  In the case of a small f-stop on a camera, the
smaller the aperture, the closer the camera comes to being a pin-hole
camera.  In the case of an ideal pin-hole camera, everything is in
focus.  With an infinitely small pin-hole, you have infinite depth of
field because rays originating from any point in space can project
directly onto a plane.

With a confocal, the further from the point of focus that the rays
originate, the further they fall from the pinhole.  Thus the smaller the
pinhole, the more restricted the depth of field.

Now...suppose you tried to cross a confocal with a pin-hole camera and
substituted a small pinhole for the objective.  You'd lose your confocal
effect.  This is comparable to using an objective with a small NA or not
filling the back-aperture of the objective.

Hope that helps.  Just this morning I was thinking about how other
people on this list know so much more than I.  It's gratifying to be
able to answer a question like this!

Martin Wessendorf

--
Martin Wessendorf, Ph.D.                   office: (612) 626-0145
Assoc Prof, Dept Neuroscience                 lab: (612) 624-2991