CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

August 2002

From:
"Henthorn, Jim C." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 13:25:13 -0500

Hi all,

I have a Leica TCS NT confocal system and I'm seeing a residue spot on the scan lens when using the transmitted light detector.  The residue is most noticeable with the 100x with the aperture to 1.  The work around has been sacrificing the resolution by setting the aperture to 4 to blur the residue.  I have been working with Leica for a very long time trying to figure out where the residue was coming from.  Finally when we figure out the problem is from a dirty scan lens, I've had to wait for months to get someone trained from Germany to replace the scan lens, then to find out the replacement lens is for the wrong microscope. Now I've been informed that I still may see a residue even if they replace the scan lens because an aperture setting below 4 is not considered normal operation.

Am I the only one seeing this ugly residue with these conditions?

Thanks,

Jim Henthorn
Flow and Image Cytometry Laboratory
Univ. of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center

Phone#: (405) 271-2035
Email: [log in to unmask]