CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 2001

From:
Lloyd Donaldson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 08:05:43 +1300
Milena

We differentiate lignified and unlignified cell walls with acriflavine
which gives green for lignin and red for unlignfied walls. You need to make
the solution fresh and works best on formaldehyde fixed material
(glutaraldehyde). All plant cell walls autofluoresce which may or may not
be a problem. I believe there is a technique for phenolic acids that uses
UV excitation but don't know the details. For pectins you will likely need
to use fluorochrome labelled antibodies. Antibodies to pectins have been
reported in the literature. Look in Protoplasma over the last 10 years. The
antibodies are called JIM1 or something similar and have been used in TEM
studies of cell walls, fruit ripening I think.
Hope that helps

Regards
Lloyd Donaldson - Microscopist
Future Forests
Forest Research, Rotorua, New Zealand
Ph 64 7 343 5581
email [log in to unmask]
www.forestresearch.co.nz/mnz

                    Milena Veleva
                    <[log in to unmask]>              To:     [log in to unmask]
                    Sent by: Confocal                 cc:
                    Microscopy List                   Subject:     specific stains for vegetable cell walls constituents
                    FFALO.EDU>

                    16/01/01 02:04 AM
                    Please respond to Confocal
                    Microscopy List

hello all,
I am looking for specific florochromes excited by visible lignt  for the
following constituents

phenolic acids
cellulose
lignine
pectine

To be localised and distinguished from each others  in strawberry  cell
walls.

All answers or clues will be greatly appreciated !

Milena