CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 2008

From:
Steve Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jul 2008 10:11:22 +1000

Hi Maria,

The main issue you will face is photobleaching.  Standardising the
exposure times and the use of calibrated beads will help.   They will
give you relative values where you can at least get a relative but not
absolute result but you will need to be very disciplined and methodical.

Wide field and point scanning confocals have very high bleaching rates.
I would also like to reinforce Julio and Joel's remarks about staying
away from saturation of your fluorophores in excitation. The spinning
disc confocals have vastly lower bleaching rates, at least one order of
magnitude less and because of this your relative determinations should
be better. Look for a system based around the Yokogawa unit say from
Andor of Perkinelmer.  These systems are likely to give you the best
results in my opinion.

As pointed out in other responses there may be some issue with the
different emission spectra of the fluorophores you are investigating and
the InSpeck beads if you use these.  However, if you are not observing
and spectral shifts and you are not at saturation in excitation then
these differences should be acceptable and the proportionality should
stay the same.

If these were my experiments I would set up a good positive control with
an standard off the shelf fluorescent probe to ensure everything is
running smoothly with each experiment.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Steve Hunter