CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

May 2009

From:
"Armstrong, Brian" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 May 2009 16:26:37 -0700
Regarding the Zeiss NDDs: I did not know Zeiss was giving away PMTs.
We have a 510 with NDDs, and I have tried to figure out why they don't
perform better. I think that the PMTs could be improved, but that this
is not the entire problem. In short, I think that there are many little
problems that affect the overall signal. I also think that Zeiss
listened to user complaints about the system and then tried to offer
solutions to these problems with the new LSM710. I think there is no
question that the LSM710NDD system is better than the LSM510NDD system.
Apparently there are variations in the NDD detectors by Hamamatsu and
that getting "hot" PMTs can help. However, I think that it is really the
sum of all the parts; light path, dichroics, filters, and "selected"
PMTs that make the 710NDD system better, and that changing the PMTs
would only partially address the NDD problems of the LSM510.
I have not noticed a decline in Semrock.
I have no idea what you are talking about regarding the condenser. It's
just a condenser, it sits there, what would you like it to do?

I think there are some inherent problems with using other manufacturer's
objectives on your scope, including filling the back aperture, chromatic
aberration correction, and differential tube lengths. This has already
been addressed here today by Pawley and others, but the back aperture of
these new high NA objectives will create problems with your tube size,
collimating lens, and therefore depth of penetration and flatness of
field. These could be addressed in the MMM and Prairie systems with some
elegant engineering, but perhaps not as easy as some are suggesting here
today.
Just my thoughts, cheers,

Brian D Armstrong PhD
Light Microscopy Core Manager