CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 1997

Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 1997 09:20:09 +0800
G'day,

>I'm searching for a 3-D analysis software program that will assist me
>beyond the 3-D reconstructions and volume measurements (like VoxBlast) but
>can also do something like the following:

It's unlikely that you'll find software that will perform the analyses
you describe at the click of a button.  It's more likely that you will
have to program the routines yourself.  The tasks that you mention
would be straightforward for a competent programmer.  The
visualization components could be handled by a standard surface/volume
renderer (it sounds as though you already have access to one) once the
data is generated.

Software that provides image processing and visualization libraries is
probably what you need.  You write the routines that manipulate your
data in the appropriate manner and make use of the libraries for
handling mundane tasks such as data i/o and visualization.  Examples
of such packages are

Commercial:
AVS             www.avs.com
Data Explorer   www.almaden.ibm.com/dx
IDL             www.rsinc.com/idl

Public Domain:
VTK             www.cs.rpi.edu/~martink
Khoros          www.khoros.umn.edu/home.html
NIH Image       rsb.info.nih.gov/nih-image
                (not sure how much 3D and visualization is supported)

Regards,
Chris Pudney                    Biomedical Confocal Microscopy Research Centre
[log in to unmask]                 Department of Pharmacology
http://www.cs.uwa.edu.au/~chrisp           The University of Western Australia
PH: (+61 9) 346 4571 FAX: (+61 9) 346 3469        Nedlands, WA 6907, AUSTRALIA