CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 2009

From:
Colin Rickman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 21 Jul 2009 13:52:03 +0100
It is important to be careful when comparing different systems and their
relative speed of acquisition. Few groups have more than one system at
any one time to compare, using the same sample, and reported speeds and
accuracies are rarely from the sample (high speed and high accuracy are
normally achieved through differing acquisition settings).

We routinely use  a Becker & Hickl system for mono and bi-exponential
FLIM recordings (both from live cells and fixed samples). Recently we
trialled a Lambert LIFA system for our wide-field microscope (we were
hoping to use it under TIRF illumination). On the face of it this system
should be able to acquire lifetime data far faster. With low temporal
accuracy and a single exponential fit the system is faster using
widefield illumination than our Becker and Hickl system (normally around
30s). However, with comparable accuracy requirements and a
bi-exponential fit the acquisition time was far longer on the Lambert
system. The problem turned out to be the way the system works -  by
modulating the voltage on the MCP. To achieve a modulation the voltage
oscillates around 0V (ie off) meaning the MCP is very insensitive.

The main limitation for all FLIM recordings is the number of detected
photons used for the fitting. More photons = longer acquisition = higher
temporal accuracy and vice versa. Depends what you want to measure.

Colin

--
Dr Colin Rickman
Centre for Integrative Physiology