CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

August 2012

From:
George McNamara <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 27 Aug 2012 11:45:32 -0400

Hi Tong,

I strongly recommend you contact your local Leica confocal microscope
representative and/or whoever is in charge of your instrument to get
training. In particular, you should not be messing with the multiphoton
laser until you understand the basics - and beyond - of using your
confocal microscopy. As I've mentioned previously on the listserv: "Do
not look at laser with remaining eye".

Brief answers:

size of the laser beam on the stage is controlled?

Size of the confocal laser excitation beam is defined by the numerical
aperture of the objective lens and the wavelength of light. An
assumption is the excitation beam "just fills" the back aperture of the
objective lens (underfilling results in a lower effective NA,
overfilling results in less excitation reaching the specimen and
possibility of excitation light scattering to unwanted places).  In
1-photon excitation, this is a double cone of light, with most of the
fluorescence being at the point of focus.

In the case of  multiphoton excitation, fluorescence (MPEF) emission
depends on the square (or cube) of excitation power. That is, double the
laser power, get four times the output of a molecule at the focus point
(until it photobleaches). At some distance from the focus, the photon
flux will be too low to produce MPEF - hence the intrinsic optical
sectioning. Since there is a volume that is being excited

When we change the pixel size to meet Nyquist criteria, does the laser focal point on the specimen change its size accordingly?

No.
When you change Pixel size on the Leica SP5, you are changing the image
format and/or zoom. These are both controls for the X and Y scanning
mirrors. The mirrors point the excitation beam to somewhere on the
specimen - have nothing to do with the focal point size.

Nyquist criteria - you can meet the Nyquist criteria with ANY objective
lens. However, a 0.3 NA objective lens is not going to give you the same
resolution as a 1.4 NA lens (the 1.4 NA lens might not give you anything
if you are imaging say 400 um deep into a specimen).

Tip: When I train users who want "maximum resolution" on my Leica SP5 or
MP/SP5, I explain that the performance depends on their sample
preparation (thickness, refractive index, staining quality) as well as
the microscope. On the SP5 side, I give them the following recommendations:
* Leica plan apochromat 63x / 1.4NA lens
* Scan speed 600 Hz (not the LAS AF default 400 Hz), if zoom of 1.0 ...
if you are always using higher zoom, figure out what is the fastest scan
speed and use that. If you have the resonant scanner, this is
simplified: always 8000 Hz. My thanks to Jonathan Boyd, leica
applications, for pointing out that "faster is better". If you don't
believe me, compare (with standard scanner mode) brightness and
photobleaching at fastest vs slowest possible speed (1 Hz?).
* Pixel size: 60 nm (based on dxy = 0.6 * 500 nm / 1.4 NA = 214 nm, then
dxy/3.5 = 60 nm, since 2D image, not a 1D sine wave). Leica did a
horrible job with the user interface of LAS AF - they should have
enabled the user to specify the pixel size and field of view (zoom), and
adjust "format" as needed. Instead the default format list are all
powers of two.
* Averaging; whatever is needed to get a "nice" image. For fixed
specimens, I usually use sequential scan mode (or sequential stack mode
for Z-series), longest excitation laser line(s) first, and frame averaging.

I also leave the all the lasers on 24/5 (24/7 if there is a user on the
weekend ... ideally the room is at constant temperature all the time,
too). We have :eica "remote care" turned on so in theory Leica has the
data from us- and every other SP5 that has remote care turned on - to
determine if leaving the lasers 24/5(7) results in better laser
stability and lifetime than turning them off between sessions or every
night.
If anyone from Leica is reading this: how about publishing the data!

What is the smallest focus size of the laser beam on the stage we can achieve?

dxy = 0.6 * 500 nm / 1.4 NA = 214 nm ... assuming the laser light is
just filling the back aperture of the objective lens (get training from
your leica rep or instrument owner about this point).

Does two photon excitation has the same scenarios?

Yes, dxy = 0.6 * 800 nm / 1.4 NA = 343 nm, but effective excitation size
also depends on how much power you are using. I strongly recommend not
using the MP laser until you understand confocal operations and MP laser
safety. If your microscope does not have a blackout curtain around it, I
strongly recommend getting one installed (and cover as many LEDs and
other lights that are on the inside), both for any nondescanned
detectors (NDDs) and for laser safety (for the latter, all users will
need to abide by a policy of not scanning with the MP laser while the
curtain is open).

A nice (free) tutorial on confocal microscopy is the *Confocal Laser
Scanning Microscopy (Principle)*  at
http://www.zeiss.de/C1256D18002CC306/Order?OpenForm&lsm-bio

You can also order Jim Pawley's Handbook online at
http://www.amazon.com/Handbook-Biological-Confocal-Microscopy-Pawley/dp/038725921X

In the next few months P.O. Berggren of Karolinska Institute (and UMiami
and Korea) will be opening a lab at a new campus in Singapore. He will
be getting at least one Leica SP8 confocal microscope (maybe with STED).
So, someone from Leica is or will be around for installation and
hopefully training - get in depth training from your lab, PO's group
and/or Leica.

George