CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

August 2008

From:
ian gibbins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Aug 2008 10:46:14 +0930

What is that you want to quantify, Kathy?

If it is the spatial relations between the labeled structures in the
plane of the membrane, there is a range of spatial statistics that let
you decide if they are really associated or not (eg as compared with a
uniform or random distribution). Doing this in 3D can be a bit of a
trick, but there are several approaches that are not too difficult, as
long as you can get some quantitative data out  of your image sets
(typically x-y-z coordinates and grey-scale values of the features of
interest.)

In my experience, this proviso is surprisingly difficult to extract
easily from imaging programs that must have the data embedded within
them. I haven't looked at MetaMorph for a while, so I can't offer any
clues there. May be someone else can?

If this approach is what you are after, let me know, and I can give you
some references.

IAN

On Thursday, August 7, 2008, at 06:14  AM, Kathryn Spencer wrote:

> Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
> Hello all;
> 	Interesting volume localization and quantitation question for
> you.
> 	One of my users wants to show that her marker moves to the
> plasma membrane after stimulation. We have used Alexa 568 WGA on her
> cells to label the membrane. Her channel protein is eGFP-labeled. Both
> signals are not continuous, but are punctate. After stimulation, the
> signal appears to move to the membrane, but the WGA and her eGFP do not
> overlap, i.e., the signals are found in exclusive patches, as shown by
> LSM confocal, 60x, zoom x2, 1.4NA in Z-stacks. I have thresholded the
> WGA signal in MetaMorph (with a variety of values), made a binary mask,
> and overlaid this on the GFP signal. What we see is the suggestion that
> the channel protein is at the membrane in the same plane as the WGA,
> but
> there is minimal overlap (as determined by line-scans). How to quantify
> this? She likes my reference to the patches on a soccer ball...they are
> obviously in the same spherical plane, but do not overlap. Would volume
> rendering and modeling help?
> 	Thanks.
> 	Kathy
>

> Kathryn Spencer, Ph.D.