CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 2009

From:
Gabor Csucs <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 25 Oct 2009 22:29:00 +0100
Dear Martin,

I will shortly describe our systems, and afterwards explain you why I
wouldn't do it once more... :-)))
We have on the same optical table a Zeiss Axisoscope FS (fixed stage)
and an Axiovert 200M sisntrument. The confocal system is an
LSM510Meta-NLO with a Coherent Chameleon laser mounted on the same
optical table. Our idea was to use the same confocal head on both stages
(with the Zeiss systems this is relatively easy). The light path of the
Chameleon was built in a way that can be directed either to the inverted
stage or to the upright one. So the idea was to have one confocal system
but change the stages depending on the application. Now, after a while
it turned out that this is unrealistic in a core facility. Although
mounting the confocal head is relatively easy, but re-aligning the
multi-photon laser requires much more care/time - so you'll never do it
on a daily base (even a weekly one is too much). So my current
suggestion for such a system would be to purchase one upright system and
one inverted one with a dedicated confocal head and sharing only the
multi-photon laser between them. Electrophysiology is a rather special
area with a somewhat tricky instrumentation (amplifiers etc.) - so I
would not really suggest to host it in a general microscopy core
facility. For enhanced flexibility on this system we use only a stage
incubator (which is easy to remove etc.) and not a typical box-type one.

Cheers   Gabor