CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2010

From:
Craig Brideau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 2010 11:53:50 -0600
Yeah, 50-100GB is huge for a file.  A typical imaging session on our
spectral confocal (C1Si) is usually 2-6 GB, depending on spectral
density (up to 32 channels) and if large volumes are acquired.  I hope
you mean 50-100GB per imaging session, or that this is a typo and you
meant MB...  Handling 0.1 TB per file would be ugly.  Our Drobo is
good to 10 TB, but if what you are saying is correct that's only about
100 files/data sets for you.  You may want to have a look at tape
backup if you really are getting files that big.  I'd still recommend
a Drobo or other network attached storage just as a place to stash
files for processing.  Once you are done analyzing/manipulating a data
set move it to tape backup from the hard disk array.  Tapes are really
cheap, hold quite a bit, but are slow, so they are best for offline
archival.  The network attached storage (Drobo, etc) can't hold as
much as a bin full of tapes but are reasonably quick and would allow
you to work on the data.

Links on general tape backup information:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BRZ/is_8_20/ai_65513193/

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/ou/are-tape-backup-systems-obsolete/267

Craig