CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

May 2016

From:
Michael Giacomelli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 May 2016 21:31:01 -0400

Hi Craig,

I realize that 2 photon excitation is most likely in the focal plane,
but the probability of it happening is nonzero everywhere the beam
reaches, so you do get some signal from out of focus light as in the
confocal case.  This is an issue in deep brain imaging for instance.
I spent a little while searching on Google scholar but didn't see very
much on signal to background ratios derived or measured for the step
test though, just deep tissue imaging.

For what it's worth, I'm curious because I do see some depth dependent
background when Z-stacking the air above a fluorescent slide.  It's
weak, but I'm curious if what I measure is reasonable, or if I should
be double checking my PSF and filter rejection.

Mike