CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2002

From:
Rosemary White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 11:07:53 +1100

Dear Oliver,

I've generally used propidium iodide as a fluorescent stain that penetrates
damaged or dead cells but not cells with intact membranes.

Martin W.'s comments on DAPI are interesting to plant cell biologists who
have used DAPI as a cell-permeant nuclear stain.  It gets into many, but
not all, living plant cells which seem perfectly happy to divide, etc. with
DAPI lighting up their DNA.  I've often wondered what properties of the
membrane made some cells absolutely impermeant to DAPI (and other
supposedly permeant nuclear stains - teeth-grittingly frustrating.....)
except when their membranes are irreversibly compromised by the final
drastic addition of detergent, or whatever, and they're beginning to die.

>Dear All,
>        I am trying find a dye we have in the lab that would stain
>dead (dying) cells. It appears DAPI would not stain my healthy cells
>(within about 30') suggesting it is not permeable and it is just what
>I need. However, I have read in published articles that DAPI is
>membrane permeable and therefore should not work for my purpose. Any
>suggestions or comments on this is greatly appreciated.
>
>sincerely,
>
>Oliver
>--
>Oliver Lung