CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 2009

From:
Julian Smith III <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Oct 2009 09:21:03 -0400
Second-floor lab here, with microscopes located less than 75m from a
mechanical room.  No unexpected complications.  No problems with our
TEM, but it's used mostly at medium magnification.  We have a pretty
stable building, but use vibration-isolation platforms in several places
where that's important (currently under our SEM and a couple of our
research microscopes).  We're about to get a platform for the confocal,
as we have our first users doing colocalization this fall, and the
non-suspended optical table with the little cone-shaped feet doesn't
provide enough isolation at the highest mag on our instrument....
I chaired the building committee, and I was sort of surprised during
design/construction that the architects seemed completely unable to
predict building vibrations.  Hallway foot traffic during class changes
turns out to be far more of a source of vibration than building mechanicals.
Julian

--
Julian P.S. Smith III
Director, Winthrop Microscopy Facility