CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 2010

From:
Gavin Rumbaugh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jul 2010 09:33:48 -0400
Hello,

This message is in response to the suggestion that Spectra Physics NIR pulsed lasers for multi-photon microscopy nearly always require the user to send the laser cavity back to the factory for service. In my experience, this is not the case.

I have used Coherent and SP lasers (Chameleon Series and Mai Tai Series) for more than seven years now. Routine service to each laser can be performed in the field. Actually, Coherent lasers are more "closed" than similar product from SP.  This is why Coherent has a laser replacement policy, because most work requires the product to shipped to their factory in Scotland (as was explained to me by a Coherent engineer). In contrast, SP Mai Tai is more modular in its design, allowing major service and even technological upgrades in the field. In my case, SP was able to  upgrade the Mai Tai HP to a DeepSee version in the field. This upgrade took a few hours, and my system was only down for an afternoon. I have now been informed by SP that its is very likely that my laser can be further field-upgraded to the EHP version. Thus, because of SP's modular design, service is less of an intrusion and the user has an upgrade path. This upgradability is not necessary available on similar Coherent products, which is a plus for SP, as pulse-NIR laser technology evolves rapidly.

I have no bias toward either company. I currently own each laser and am completely happy both the Vision II and the DeepSee. I only wish to provide an honest comparison of both companies; from sales to use to service. The companies are both excellent and provide top-notch sales and service support. The technology that each offer is similar (i would give the edge to SP now, but this could change in six months). One major difference between the companies that i have seen is in their sales structure. It appears that Coherent uses more of a sales rep structure, while SP uses field-sales engineers. The former being salesman with knowledge of lasers and the later being engineers (or PhDs ) with knowledge of sales. Personally, i would rather work with a scientist or engineer.

Any one with similar or different experiences?

All the best, Gavin

Gavin Rumbaugh, PhD
Assistant Professor
Department of Neuroscience, #3C2