CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 1995

From:
Andrea Elberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Mar 1995 16:30:58 -0600
We are seeking advice on a possible alternative method for a client.  He is
looking at gene products in the cell nucleus using several different
antibodies.  For his secondary he is using FITC.  But he also is labeleing the
DNA using a propidium iodide stain.  Evidently, the PI is very strong and has
been overwhelming his antibody stain.  We have suggested that he reduce the
concentration of the PI stain and this has helped somewhat.  But does anyone
know of a stain for the DNA that is not so powerful? Or a way of attenuating
the PI stain itself?  As a side issue, he is also damaging his cells with UV to
look at possible relationships between gene products and DNA repair.  Any and
all advice would be most welcome.  Please reply to my email address.  Thank you
in advance.
        ANDREA ELBERGER
        Professor, Anatomy and Neurobiology
        The University of Tennessee, Memphis