CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 2011

From:
"Lemasters, John" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Apr 2011 21:20:52 -0400

Hi David and Mark,

Good points. By specialized laser and optics, I meant a UV argon laser and UV quartz optics. I had such a beast once to image NADH, but multiphoton is much easier and more versatile.

Regarding multiphoton photodamage, David Piston has a paper showing that 2 photon imaging is more damaging than 1 photon imaging for cells in culture and that the multiphoton photodamage has a 3 photon power profile. Hence most folks will tell you to use conventional 1 photon imaging for cells in culture -- but you'll still need 2-photon microscopy to image things like NADH and NADPH unless, of course, you have a UV laser and UV optics.

John

--
John J. Lemasters, MD, PhD
Professor and GlaxoSmithKline Distinguished Endowed Chair

Office: 843-792-2153
Lab: 843-792-3530
Fax: 843-792-8436
Email: [log in to unmask]