CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 2001

From:
"Hessling, Rene" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Oct 2001 14:20:38 +0200
Hi,

If you want something simple and free, check out this Access database
(requires Access 97 or higer), that will catalog your disks and allows you
to add comments, search by various parameters, and more:
http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/reinierolislagers/reinierolislagers.htm

It's rather gray and dull but you can modify the database and its appearance
as you wish.

A more intuitive and very quick program that I use is DARKAP DISKS 98 V0.30
Description (from the author):
*Support 1,000 Disks.
*Each Disk can have 10,000 folders and 100,000 files (a huge CD-HD can
contain 1,000
 folders and 20,000) (a usual CD have 200 folders and 4-5,000 files).
*FFFAST reading and indexing. It can read-index-save a CD with 6,000 files
in 150 folders
 in less than 4-5 seconds !!! !!!. (Benchmark with K6 200MHz, 12-24x
Panasonic Cdrom).
*The result index file in the local hard disk is very small.
*Report view of all duplicate files in a disk (Usefull).
*Explore without the CD in the drive. The exploring of a disk is exactly the
same
 as the Windows 95 Explorer.
*Quick Search files and folders. Searching by Name , File Size , Date (Just
like
 Windows 95 file find).
*Searches by name can contain wildcards (* , ?) in any position of the name.
 (Samples= 'a*.txt' , '*a.t?t' , '*ab*.*av' , '*?b*.*mp').
*The Search function can be aplied in all cdrom library or in selected
disks.

Unfortunately this application has not been updated recently, but I'm sure
you'll find it in some freeware archives (or contact me for a copy).

I'm sure there are far better commercial solutions out there, but these are
a good (and free) start.

Cheers,
Rene

Dipl. Biol. Rene Hessling