CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 2008

From:
ian gibbins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jul 2008 14:34:09 +0930

Hello Everyone

When is a new version of a confocal operating system an "upgrade" and
when it is a mere bug-fix??

Considering the high cost of buying any of the major manufacturer's
systems, my view is that the software should work properly, with some
allowance for unforeseen glitches that sneak through the pre-release
testing. After all, the operation of the microscope is entirely
dependent on the satisfactory implementation of the software as the
interface between the user and the hardware. Consequently, I have
considered (perhaps unreasonably...) that when you buy the system, you
get bug-fixes to the software for free (especially, but not only, if
you find, document and report the bugs yourself). On the other hand, I
am quite willing to pay for a software upgrade that offers new
capabilities that were not present in a previous version of the
operating system.

How then should we respond to vendors that offer new versions of
operating systems that are no more than bug-fixes as "upgrades" and
then expect us to pay out serious money to acquire them?

I'd be interested in your responses, off list if necessary...

thanks

IAN

* * * * * * * * * * *
Prof Ian Gibbins