CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2012

From:
Steffen Dietzel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jun 2012 14:47:44 +0200

I don't quite get it from the article. Assuming an upright confocal, you
put, say, a chroma test slide under the preparation, ok.

* How do you get to tilted/oblique illumination? Do you have to put the
specimen to the edge of the scan range? Or is it done with moving a
lense out of axis? (which would mean that this is not easily feasable on
commercial setups since they don't intend to give access to the beampath)

* Then you scan eg with 488 nm and record the green fluorescent signal
from the test slide, is that it?

* The actual image is then generated by the fluorescent light traveling
back through the specimen and getting deflected (phase shifted ?) or not
during the process, being finally recorded with a PMT.

* To get signal through you have to open the pinhole, since it is not a
confocal signal, right?.

Maybe you could clarify these points for the non-physicist.

Steffen

On 12.06.2012 01:25, Peng Xi wrote:

> Dear List,
>        We have just published our work of achieveing DIC phase relief
> image of transparent specimens with existing confocal setup, by just
> adding a piece of plastic or paper (basically, anything that
> fluorescent) on top of your sample. We also explained why so
> mathematically. Link:
>        http://www.opticsinfobase.org/oe/abstract.cfm?uri=oe-20-13-14100
>
>        Also, a piece of advice: do NOT place printing paper on your
> lips when you open your door ---- although not presented, we noticed
> that the paper contain heavily whitening agent,  a strong fluorescence
> emitter under UV excitation, which is toxic and may induce cancer.
>
> Sincerely,
> Peng Xi
> Ph. D.    Associate Professor
> Dept. of Biomedical Engineering, College of Engineering
> Peking University, Beijing, China
> Tel: +86 10-6276 7155
> Email: [log in to unmask]
> http://bme.pku.edu.cn/~xipeng

Steffen Dietzel, PD Dr. rer. nat
Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München
Walter-Brendel-Zentrum für experimentelle Medizin (WBex)
Head of light microscopy

Mail room:
Marchioninistr. 15, D-81377 München

Building location: