CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2002

From:
Bartek Rajwa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Mar 2002 18:02:45 +0100

BioRad users may find it interesting...

I've just finished upgrading a computer which controls our MRC-1024
system into the newest version of OS/2 - the eComStation (ECS) from
Serenity System (know also as Warp 5)

Hardware: FIC motherboard with two ISA slots, Matrox Millenium G200
graphics card (AGP version), TEAC-W54E CD-burner (ATAPI), LG CD-ROM
(ATAPI), IBM DTLA-307030 (30 GB UltraATA hard drive), 384 MB RAM
(DIMM), AMD K6 500 MHz processor.

Lasersharp: version 3.2 for OS/2. It runs on ECS system without a
glitch. There is a problem with animations, though. My system is so
fast that animation capabilities provided by the Lasersharp image
processing are hardly usable... 8-) It is not ECS "fault",
obviously...

The hard disk is divided into two partitions: one for the OS and the
second one for data. Both partitions were formated using HPFS
file-system. However, JFS (IBM journaling file system) is also
provided. I haven't experimented with it yet.

Other issues: ECS installation runs from a CD and is much easier than
anything you experienced with OS/2 version 4. I had no problems with
networking. Netbios, TCP/IP and IPX (Novell) are working fine. Users
would be able to fetch their files via standard Windows network or
FTP. The ATAPI CD-burner works great (Of course, I had to add Dani's
ATAPI driver - exactly as I did with OS/2 ver. 4). I also installed
GUI for mkisofs/cdrecord, so every regular user can easily burn
his/her data.

Conclusion: I wholeheartedly recommend ECS for every MRC-1024 user who
has OS/2 version 3 or 4 on the computer controlling the microscope.

Bartek Rajwa

Ps: A standard disclaimer, of course: I have no commercial interest in
IBM or Serenity Systems products.

--
              [log in to unmask] | tel:+48 12 2526354
      "Does anybody else find irony in the fact that Bill Gates