CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2003

From:
Jason Goh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 10:07:15 +0000

Thanks for all the information...  Much appreciated!

Regards,
Jason

Dr Jason Goh
School of Electrical & Electronic Eng.
University of Nottingham
TEL:  +44 (0) 115 951 5556
FAX:  +44 (0) 115 951 5616

>>> [log in to unmask] 11/18/03 01:44pm >>>

Just to add a bit to Nuno's reply, if you look at the FITC
spectrum at the site he gives you will see it has two peaks,
one at ~790nm and the other at ~930nm.  What this tells us is
that the shorter wavelength peak is exciting to a higher
electronic state which automatically means that the risk of
bleaching is increased.  And in practice many people find that
FITC bleaches very rapidly indeed at these wavelengths.  It
is much more stable at 930nm.

Why is it not 988nm?  Because fluorescein is a very symmetrical
molecule and selection rules say that for a symmetrical molecule
2P excitation cannot occur to the same state as 1P.  If you look
at the spectra for asymmetric molecules such as DAPI you will
find that they are much closer to the 1P spectra at twice the
wavelength.

                                           Guy Cox

Quoting Nuno Moreno <[log in to unmask]>:

> Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
> Dear Janson,
>
> The virtual state in the 2P absorption is not so spectrally defined. For
>   FITC you can have a good signal starting at 790 nm. The absorption
> spectrum dependents a lot with the fluorofore and its much more wide
> than 1P.
>
> Here you can find some 2P absorption spectra
>
> http://microscopy.bio-
rad.com/products/multiphoton/Radiance2100MP/mpspectra.htm

--
Associate Professor Guy Cox
Electron Microscope Unit, F09