CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 2011

From:
Tim Feinstein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Apr 2011 11:37:21 -0400

Hello all,

Thorlabs had an interesting display of confocal systems last week, at Experimental Biology in DC, that ranged from a multiphoton system to a resonant-only confocal that they informally quoted at <$70k, including lasers (!).  The general theme seems to be stripped-down systems that do one thing well; e.g. they are still considering whether or how to integrate a FRAP function into their resonant device.  I also wonder whether they have a suitable support network in place to handle maintenance and upgrade issues.  As well, buying a new system with new software can make one feel like an unpaid beta tester.  We might include their resonant scanner in a search for a live-cell dedicated scope, against spinning disc and swept field systems from PE, Andor and Nikon (the Ti base is a must), but I am on the fence about that.

If anyone has experience with them, please feel free to contact me on line or off.

Thanks,

Tim

Timothy Feinstein, PhD
Postdoctoral Fellow
Laboratory for GPCR Biology
Dept. of Pharmacology & Chemical Biology
University of Pittsburgh, School of Medicine
BST W1301, 200 Lothrop St.
Pittsburgh, PA  15261